[Wittrs] My Wittgenstein Course

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittgenstein's Aftermath <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Philscimind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Philscimind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:27:52 -0700 (PDT)

... current plans are not to go "live" with the first session (tomorrow night).
Just explaining the course, it's relevance, and providing an introduction to
Wittgenstein. I'll post the lecture a day or two following, FYI. Everything
will be recorded. For those who want to keep up with the course, and
participate, the assigned reading for next week is listed here:

http://seanwilson.org/wiki/doku.php?id=courses:wittgenstein_culture_law

Read Monk 1-90, and be prepared to solve Problem Set-1, which I have not yet
posted. Check back on the webpage later tomorrow evening or possibly Thursday
morning to receive the first set.

We could, as a group, solve the (false) problems in here, too, with emails.
Maybe that's what I'll encourage. Perhaps even the class would want to discuss
potential solutions here too (I don't know). Note the rules: no journalism
("X's article says"). Just interested in the ideas. What is the best way to
think about it?

Each week, the point is to (a) read and discuss the events in Wittgenstein's
life (Monk, Malcolm); (b) work on some thinking exercises relevant to
Wittgenstein's ideas; and (c) receive supplemental reading that addresses the
solution to last week's problem. Biography --> thinking --> showing the
untangled solution ("the new thinking")

Course is going to build upon itself. By the end, students should well know
what Wittgenstein was all about and should be able to critique all sorts of
scientific and philosophical claims through a certain vantage point, using a
certain set of skills. Sort of like teaching Karate. We hope to graduate a few
black belts.

Lord knows we had some failures in here!

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
[spoiler]Assistant Professor
Wright State University