[Wittrs] Re: Games with Logic and Bachelor

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 17:28:33 -0800 (PST)

(Josh)

... actually, no. The game IS THE RESEMBLANCE. (And the resemblance isn't
visual either, in case that is around the corner, although visual similarity
can play a role in it). And so if the resemblance is remote or contrived
or arbitrary, the play won't score a goal or be very good. Who decides on what
is resemblance? It isn't an act of politics; its one of cognition and social
learning.

Again, I am lost as to the points you want to make. Is Turing the one who
called the kitty a cow?

The only way you could get "kitty" into cow under warrant of "mammal" is
to have a culture of speakers who did not know much of mammals and who thought
kitties to be the popular of the species. Imagine a group of Aliens who speak
poor English. The two alien children see a cow and say "kitty," meaning, in
essence, major-mammal.

(I have a colleague who studies wolfs as endangered species. Because I know
nothing of the matter, I frequently refer to his pet project as studying "that
dog." This is the only thing that comes close to describing what I mean about
the aliens above. For you to play the language game you want to play, certain
conditions on the ground have to exist. You don't have them).

Like I say, we could invent one not involving mammal as the entry port. Imagine
a child calling a kitty a cow if it is incredibly obese. That's a goal in the
language game. Without more, your example isn't a goal, it's a confusion. And
as such, it isn't a counter example to anything anyone has said.

Regards

SW