[Wittrs] Fwd: [Math 2.0] Adjectives and Nouns

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wittgenstein's Aftermath" <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 08:57:24 -0500

From another list on which I participate, this post from michel paul,
a colleague Pythonic Math teacher practicing in Beverly Hills (CA).

What stands out for me in the quote from Frege below is the somewhat
aphoristic dissection of what we'd call "language games".  That's not
exactly how he thought of what he was doing, but for my part I better
appreciate his influence on Wittgenstein from quotes such as this.
It's been awhile since I looked at Frege's writings.

I've been reading through '(Over)interpreting Wittgenstein'
http://www.amazon.com/Over-Interpreting-Wittgenstein-A-Biletzki/dp/1402013272/

on flights from Portland to Chicago to Philadelphia.  I'm "a member of
the corporation" as we put it, said corporation being the American
Friends Service Committee.
http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2012/03/corporation-meeting.html

More about that later (flying back to Portland today -- more reading).

Kirby