[Wittrs] Conceptual Analysis: Causation, Constitution and Identity

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 22:04:03 -0400

SWM wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>SWM wrote:

>>>The third premise is the key to the argument. Read without the
>>>equivocation it depends on a belief that the non-causal claim is
>>>true.

>>read without the equivocation, the third axiom makes two distinct
>>claims: the claim that syntax does not constitute understanding and
>>the claim that syntax does not cause understanding.

>And the causal claim is not established as true by any argument or
>conceptual "evidence" from the CR

before we even get to the question of whether the causal claim is or is
not supported by the CRT and/or by any conceptual analysis based on it,
we need to be clear on whether you understand that, read without
equivocation, two distinct claims are being made: the the claim that
syntax does not constitute understanding and the claim that syntax does
not cause understanding.

hint: this is a yes or no question.

Joe