[Wittrs] [C] Re: Wittgenstein on Religious Belief

  • From: "J D" <ubersicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 15:35:17 -0000

GS,

> GS: What does it mean that "their whole life seem to demonstrate sincere
> belief"? Are "beliefs" causes of what they do?

A good question! (It brings out what could readily be misunderstood.)

No, I am not speaking of cause here, not offering theories of psychology (or
sociology, anthropology).  The connection I am pointing to is a grammatical one.

Various decisions, actions, habits, and attitudes, taken in the context of
one's wider life are symptoms and criteria (defeasible of course: these are not
"necessary and sufficient conditions") of sincere belief.  They are
constitutive of what believers and many non-believers will count as sincerity.

And making the connection from the other direction, the beliefs are what are
offered as grounds, what we count as reasons (not causes) for various
decisions, actions, habits, and attitudes.

JPDeMouy