[Wittrs] [C] Re: Re: Proper Names --Wittgenstein, Russell, Kripke

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 00:29:56 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kirby urner <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> "We have a referent for X and I can give you lots of
> data to help you pin point X most definitely, but as
> for what X means, the jury is still out on that one."
>
> Isn't this a sensible view too?

Sure.

Or, "X" is a _word_ I am using in a certain way eg as a proper name, and you
can refer to Google's internal database to see a full list of the ways it (any
proper name as a type, or just this proper name "X" as a token) has occurred in
actual grammars and references with a Bayesian statistic next to it in
combination with other words and act accordingly, and maybe you can taxonomize
for this type or token or other sub-classification, plus or minus exceptions
from any such taxonomy, cuz in the end it's always contingent on particulars as
to just what game I was playing in the current utterance.

Or, y'know, ... meaning is use.

Josh