[Wittrs] Anscombe on Tractarian epistemology & its incompatibility with verificationism

  • From: "walto" <walterhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 15:02:40 -0000

The  following is a lengthy excerpt (pp. 152-154) from Anscombe's
Introduction  to W's Tractatus. I apologize in advance for the
inevitable typos.

`Psychology is no more akin to  philosophy than any other natural
science.  Theory of  knowledge is the philosophy of psychology'
(4.1121). In this  passage W is trying to break the dictatorial control
over the rest of  philosophy that had long been exercised by what is
called theory of  knowledge?that is, by the philosophy of
sensation,perception,  imagination, and, generally, of `experience'.  He
did not  succeed.  He and Frege avoided making theory ofknowledge  the
cardinal theory of philosophy simply by cutting it dead; by  doingnone,
and concentrating on the philosophy of logic.  But  the influence of the
Tractatus produced logical positivism,  whose main doctrine is
`verificationism'; and in that doctrine theory of  knowledge once more
reigned supreme, and a prominent position was given  to the test of
significance by asking for theobservations that would  verify a
statement. (Further, in the period between the Tractatus  and the time
when he began to write Philosophical Investigations,  W's own ideas were
more closely akin to those of the logical  positivists than before or
after.)

We can see  how the Tractatus generated logical positivism, although the
two  philosophies are incompatible,by studing Mortiz Schlick's essay,
"Meaning and Verification": `Whenever we ask about a sentence, "What
does it mean?" what we expect is instruction as to the circumstances in
which the sentence is to be used; we want a description of the
conditions under which the sentence will form a true proposition,  and
of the those which will make it false.' Here Schlick seems  to follow
the Tractatus, except in the last clause of his  statement: the
Tractatus says that I `determine the sense  of a proposition by
`determining in what circumstances I call it true;  (4.063). (It is
implicit in this that the `circumstances I question may  hold or not
hold;for it is an essential part of the picture theory that a
proposition which heldin all circumstances would not have  `sense': it
would lack TF poles.)

Schlick  class the `description of the conditions; under which a word
has  application, or a sentence is true, the ;rules for the use; of the
word  or sentence.  These `rules' will consist partly of  `ostensive
definitions', of which the simplest form will be a pointing  gesture
combined with the pronouncing of the word; this can be done with  words
like `blue'.  For words like `immediate',`chance',  `because', `again',
Schlick says, the ostensive definition is of a more  complicated kind:
`in these cases we require the presence of certain  complex situations,
and the meaning of the words is defined by the way  we use them in these
different situations.'  All rules for  use `ultimately point of
ostensive definitions'.  `This,'  Schlick says, `is the situation, and
nothing seems to me simpler or less  questionable.  It is this situation
and nothing else that  we describe when we affirm that the meaning of a
proposition can be  given only by giving the rules of its verification
in experience.   (The addition "in experience" is really superfluous, as
no other  kind of verification has been defined.)'

This shews us the transition  from the Tractatus to `verificationism'
very clearly.  What  Schlick says leads immediately (a) to the quick
test for significance:  `What experience would verify this?' and (b) to
the maintenance of  theory of knowledge as the cardinal theory of
philosophy.

In the Tractatus, the  `determination of the circumstances in which I
call a proposition true'  must be a statement ofits truth-conditions.
This is a  completely different thing from a `rule for the use' of a
sentence, if  this takes the form of an `ostensive definition'. There
could be no  statement of the truth-conditions of an elementary
proposition, other  than a restatement of it;and for all non-elementary
propositions there  can always be statements oftruth-conditions.  If,
then,  Schlick is following the Tractatus, `ostensive definition' can
only be relevant to the elementary proposition.

Further, Schlick insists that  our `rules for use; are `arbitrary';we
give what rules we like; all that  is essential is that we give some.
Theonly arbitrariness in the Tractatus  is in the assignment of names.
There is no  arbitrariness about the fact that a certain type of
arrangement of names  is capable of representing such-and-such a
situation; it can do that  only by reproducing in its own structure the
arrangement of objects in  the situation,and we cannot make it do so at
will. ?

On the Tractatus  view,then, one could not ask what observations would
establish the truth  of aproposition unless the `structures' of possible
observation  statements alreadystood in certain internal relations to
the `structure;  of the proposition.  In the presence of these internal
relations,the question of meaningfulness cannot arise, except in the
form of a questionabout the reference of the individual signs; if these
signs are not given areference, the proposition could not be  `given'  a
sense, even by stipulating that its truth would be established if and
only if such-and-such observation statements were verified?.

My  only comment here is that there seems to me to a kind of
epistemological strain functioning here despite W's (and Anscombe's)
denials. That, e.g., language MUST have a particular sort  of relation
with the world, that there MUST be elementary objects or  there could be
no understanding?these seem to me akin to Descartes'  methodological
claims regarding the impossibility of error with respect  to the cogito.
There is a metaphysical "comfort" supplied by the  non-empirical, yet
non-tautological props of the Tractatus, and  W's certainty of the
impossibility of the falsehood of any of them is  its own sort of
foundationalism.

When  Anscombe says "There is no arbitrariness about the fact that a
certain  type of arrangement of names is capable of representing
such-and-such a  situation; it can do that only by reproducing in its
own structure the  arrangement of objects in the situation..."?it's
the very assurance of  the impossibility of any invasion by "the
arbitrary" that may  give an empiricist pause.
Walto