[C] [Wittrs] Digest Number 345

  • From: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 5 Sep 2010 08:33:41 -0000

Title: WittrsAMR

Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)

Messages

1.1.

Re: Start with the person, not his brain

Posted by: "BruceD" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sat Sep 4, 2010 5:55 pm (PDT)

Hi: Sorry but once a week is about all I have time for; but I always
learn something from your Post
--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "gabuddabout" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> That's why we seek NCCs (neuroilogical correlates of consciousness).

OK. Exactly what is correlated with what. A brain cell(s) firing
and....?

> "In the real world there is first person subjectivity without the need
to posit mental substances that are of some different ontological

The notion of substance has no place in my account of who and what I am,
feel..

> that is, ontological subjectivity is wholly the result of the brain.

What prompts you to say that? Perhaps. At one time in the universe there
were no minds. Then there where. Where did they come from? What caused
them? One possible take is that brains make them. Another, one I'm
having great difficulty to get across, is that a mind isn't a "it", so
it couldn't have been caused or appear later.

What am I saying? What appears later, what is caused, is certain NCCs,
if you will, that are found in certain animals which we conceive as
having minds. But once we make this judgment of mind, we reverse our
understanding. We see the animal as volitional and hence the NCCs are
not causing the animal to act but rather animal is using his brain to
accomplish what he is setting out to do.

Explain to me two things.

1- What would Searle say about what I've written?

2- > I also agree with the spirit of Stuart's view.

The spirit in what sense?

bruce

2.

Understanding Property Dualism

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sat Sep 4, 2010 6:45 pm (PDT)

walto wrote:

>SWM wrote:

>>But I think this misses the point, since the issue isn't whether there
>>are two things or one but, rather, whether to explain the presence of
>>mind in the world, we have to posit something underlying mind that
>>isn't physical.

>I believe that neither Searle nor I "posit something undrlying mind
>that isn't physical," but I'll just speak for my self. In my view, (and
>I've repeated this COUNTLESS fucking times), everything in the universe
>is physical: some of it is also mental.

>>If mind is just some "mental property" that attaches to some physical
>>events but not others, as Walter would have it, then how does it
>>happen in the world?

>That's a tough question. Several people are working on it, I believe.

Can you give an example of a mental property that is not a quale
according to someone using the broad definition of 'quale/qualia'?

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@