[Wittrs] On scientific pragmatism

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "To:wittrs"@freelists.org
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 02:50:56 -0000

This is a response to Rajasekhar's  recent post
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wittrs/message/2009>  in the "brain talk"
thread.  We were well off topic  for that thread, so I thought it best
to start a new thread.

Rajasekhar wrote:

> William James's version of pragmatic theory, while complex, is often
> summarized by his statement that "the 'true' is only the expedient
> in our way of thinking, just as the 'right' is only the expedient
> in our way of behaving."

I have tried to be clear that I do not agree with traditional
philosophical pragmatism, such as the pragmatism of William James,  or
that of John Dewey.  In particular, I do not agree with their  notion of
truth as utility.

Let's say that I am a scientific pragmatist, rather than a  philosophic
pragmatist.  I am a pragmatist, in the sense that I  seek that which
works. I measure the success of a project by how  well it works, not by
whether it is true.  I do not reject truth  and I do not attempt to
distort truth.  However, seeking what works  is the primary motivator.

As it happens, it is very useful to have a notion of truth.  And it
needs to be more like the traditional notion of truth than that
asserted by pragmatists such as William James.

Regards,
Neil