[wisb] red-throated loon, Dane co.

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisb" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 17:21:11 -0600

 An end of day stop, to check out Lake Kegonsa, paid off. It's amazing how much
stuff comes into a lake, at the end of a day.
 I was wondering how many loons were left. I started to scan (everything was
way out) and I was picking up a few loons. I came across a group of 4 and one
stood out as noticably smaller and with more white. Zooming up, the white
covered more of the face and neck, bill smaller and held up. One of the common
loons drove it off twice. The back was lighter than the commons. After the
group broke up and it dove  ,I couldn't find it again. But, I was losing light.
 This was a great finish, to a great day with friends. We just got from a mil.
and Johnson Creek trip.
Steve Thiessen Stoughton Dane co.