[wisb] possible sighting of the Madison GG Owl on Jan. 16th

  • From: Janine Polk <j_l_polk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 11:43:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday the 16th in the afternoon we were on the interstate on our way to
IL, in the Madison area, and I caught a quick glimpse of what might have been
the (a) Great Gray. We were in traffic and I glanced to the right between a
couple trucks, and got a very brief look at a very large gray brown raptor
perched just west of the expressway. It was facing away from the road with its
wings slightly spread, and appeared to have a large head. I thought, whoa, that
looks like a....no, couldn't be, must be a bad angle on a Red-tail or something
(though the back of the bird didn't look like the back of a Red-tail). I
couldn't stop, there was no exit coming up, and as I recall there were no
nearby roads to view it from, to the west at least. This was somewhere north or
northeast of Madison, but I don't remember exactly where, unfortunately. If we
hadn't been running late I probably would have gone back, but we had to
continue on to IL.

Ordinarily I don't report sightings that I'm not 100% sure about, but in this
case maybe I should have....

Janine Polk
Eau Claire