[wisb] iPhone apps/my area

  • From: Mike Duchek <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:47:00 -0500

At the risk of this article being mostly stuff those interested already know, I
thought I'd share this article from the New York Times a week ago on various
iPhone apps.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/technology/personaltech/22smart.html

In other news, RC kinglets seem to have disappeared from our area.  For 2 days
in a row though, I've seen GH owls.  Monday I saw what appeared to be a
juvenile - about the same size but scruffy looking with not quite defined
"horns."  Then yesterday I saw what looks like an adult, but it would perch and
make what kind of sounds like a raspy bark every 20 seconds or so maybe.  Any
ideas what this sound is for?

I also have seen what I believe are northern rough-winged swallows several
times lately.  This morning I saw one check out a drainpipe in the large
retaining wall outside our unit.  Would be neat to have them nest basically
right outside our window.

-Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.