[wisb] hunting great blue heron

  • From: "John Byrne" <jbyrne5004@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 15:57:59 -0600

Milwaukee County Grounds Park
Swan Rd. & Innovation Dr.
  I came across this park by accident on Thurs. when I made a wrong turn from
Watertown Plk. Rd. so I decided to park my car and have a look around.  I
suspect I am on of the few birders who did not know of this grassland habitat.
Shortly after I got out of my car a great blue heron flushed from the grass
nearby and flew away.  I went back yesterday and the same thing happened.
Today I saw the bird before it flushed from the same general area, and it flew
about 100 feet then settled down in the grass again.  Then it struck a pose
with neck extended and bill pointed downward as they do when hunting in shallow
water, but, there was no water within a block of where it was hunting.  It
continued walking through the grass until I lost sight of it.  I aasume it was
hunting mice or voles.  If you are doing a Wauwatosa Christmas count, this will
be an easy one for you.  There was also a kestrel in the same area on Thurs.
John Byrne
Milwaukee