[wisb] geese, Stoughton area

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisb" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:07:19 -0600

  The spot on Hy138, south of Stoughton, where the road curves west and then
south was good this morning. The was 1 adult white Snow goose, 1 very small
Cackling and 150 Canada's. 8 swans, 15 Pintails and 40 Mallard were also
present. This spot may freeze this weekend, but is a good spot for geese. Nolan
mentioned that the Snow flew off while he was there.
 I went south to check for Quentin's white goose, by Bullard and Hy 14. Just
some Canada's.
 Checked around the Oregon area. Lake Barney and Swan Pond were frozen. Across
the road and just south of Swan Pond, the Canada Geese were coming into the
fields. No white geese. 800+ Canada's, 2 Cackling, 6 White-fronted Geese, 6
Pintails and Mallards.
 Going back to Stoughton ,on 138, I chgecked Island Lake. It's starting to open
up and the geese and ducks are using it. I didn't scope it, because I didn't
see any white geese. Did see 7 Pintail fly by. This is a good spot to check,
but hard to get a good angle to see. I you feel like walking, you can walk
along the fence row (public) off Lake Kegonsa Road. There is a good overlook,
once you get near the lake.
 The Hy B widespread has been quiet the last 2 days. Steve Thiessen Stoughton
Dane co.