[wisb] female duck at Gov Nelson SP

  • From: "Delia Unson & Charles Heikkinen" <deliachuck@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WisBirdN <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 13:22:45 -0600

Hi all,

I'm curious about a female duck I saw around 12:15 today off the beach
of Gov Nelson SP.  It in the midst of a
large group of Canada Geese plus some mallards, and a male Mallard
seemed to be associated with
this female.  She had a clear white patch above eye, symmetrical on
both sides, and extending to the back of her head.
She also had an obviously gray bill.  I had hoped to find the
Long-tailed female that had been reported at GNSP,
but this bird seemed about the same size as the nearby Mallard.  I'd
like opinions on this.  Off-color
Mallard female?

Cheers,

Chuck Heikkinen