[wisb] Re: elsewhere in the midwest - (keep your eyes open)

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 11:46:37 -0600

Hey everyone,
Just a little more info in this winter's Ross's Gulls:
The Lake Yankton bird has been the second Ross's Gull this winter to stick for
more than 3 days and so far, the only one to stick for more than a week.  I
haven't heard any reports yet today, but it was still present yesterday at
sundown after being first discovered on Nov 26th.
Two other birds were found in NE and SD as well.  One found on the 3rd just
outside of Lincoln (about 170 miles south of the Yankton bird) that stayed for
2 days, and one, 60 miles west of the Yankton bird at Pickstown, SD on the 4th.
There have been no further reports from this area though.
A possible 5th Ross's Gull was reported at a reservoir north of Denver, CO
yesterday but nobody could find the bird after the initial report and I've
heard that the initial report is in doubt.
I have created a google map with the dates and locations of all the Ross's Gull
reports so far.  I'll keep it updated as much as I can:
http://tinyurl.com/2877oha

4 confirmed Ross's Gulls within 500 miles of each other all within a month of
each other.  I wonder what's going on up north?......

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)