[wisb] Re: eBird quiz bird B

  • From: "JEFF BAUGHMAN" <JBaughman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <korducki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <nicka29@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 11:24:04 -0500

Nick, Mark and all,

I tend to agree with Mark that this appears to be a Warbling Vireo. Others may
be calling this a Philly, but I don't see much if any dark lores (the region
between the eyes and bill on the side of a bird's head) on this bird. I know
photos can be misleading at times, as Mark pointed out, but this photo does
show a pretty good image of the face. All Philly Vireos I've had experience
with show a noticeable dark loral area.

My two-cents.

Jeff Baughman
Campbellsport, FDL County
>>> "Korducki" <korducki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 09/09/11 10:55 AM >>>
That is a tough one Nick.  My impression is Warbling Vireo.  The
supercillium is pale, there is a diffuse but distinct eye line and a hint of
a grayish brown cap.  The bill looks a little on the small side for a vireo
but that could be a result of the photo angle.  I will be curious to see
what others think but figured I'd stick my neck out on this one.

Mark Korducki, New Berlin