[wisb] eBird google gadget

  • From: Nick Anich <nicka29@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 11:52:20 -0800 (PST)

There have also been some questions about the eBird google gadget. Basically
you can add the gadget to your google page and it updates nearly in real time
when a rare bird has been seen. You can set it up for any state. It runs off
the checklist filters, so if a species is entered that is not on the regular
checklist for the month, it will show up on the gadget. The downside of this is
that at certain times of year (the end of April, for example) the gadget will
be full of birds that are regular on the May filter but left off the April
filter (because we can only filter on a month to month basis, and if a species
regularly arrives on Apr 25, we leave it off the April filter). Observations
flagged because they are a high count will not show up on the gadget. We have
more birds showing up on the Wisconsin gadget, including a lot of uncommon but
expected birds, compared to many other states because we have fairly tight
filters and a lot of eBird
 usage.

Read more here:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/Google_Gadget.html

Also, if there are any programmers out there, the google gadget runs off APIs
that can be used to make all sorts of customized eBird gadgets of your own,
Jack Siler's rarity map is a good example.
http://birdingonthe.net/gmaps/eBirdMap.html

Nick Anich
Ashland, WI