[wisb] Re: current ABA bird name

  • From: "Bettie R. Harriman" <bettie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: deerpix@xxxxxxxxxxx,"Wisconsin Bird Net" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 16:25:25 -0500

As long as we are on the subject of species names - it is NOT ABA
that determines the names of the species of birds.  That is done by a
committee of the American Ornithologists' Union (AOU) and ABA accepts
their names - both Latin and common (English).

The current AOU name is Common Gallinule.

Bettie Harriman
Oshkosh