[wisb] carolina wren

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 21:02:00 -0600

Thanks to the person who posted the Carolina Wren along the Milwaukee
River at the end of Chambers St!!  Dennis G and I broke away from the
WSO field trip briefly this morning as they headed for Port
Washington.  We arrived at the spot, walked down to the river and had
the wren calling in a few minutes.  It gave its call note, not its
song.  Who can blame it with the strong northwest winds and wind
chill!!  Also present was a White-throated Sparrow.
On a side note, I left home early this morning to check out 6 Mile Rd
(before the start of the field trip).  On the second try a Short-
eared Owl and Rough-legged Hawk were seen towards the north end of 6
Mile Rd.  Further down a male Harrier was hunting over an open
field.  The White-cr. Sparrow was the only sparrow, along with
standard birds, at the feeder near the south end of 6 Mile Rd,
around 7:40, before I headed south fast to meet the field trip at
South Shore Park.

And yes, the wind was brutal out of the northwest but it was a fun
trip.  I am certain Tom will be posting the trip results.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI