[wisb] Re: bird feeding and evolution

  • From: Lennie Lichter <lennieandmaria@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 17:54:40 -0800 (PST)

Well folks, it has long been my contention (albeit I speak as a totally
unscientific amateur) that we have been creating races of common birds that are
way too dependent on junk food.  While their "wild" brethren are still teaching
their young the old ways of finding natural foods - ways that have up until now
maintained the balance of nature rather well, by the way - these new races are
just bringing their offspring to the feeders, much as ne'er do well humans
might drop their kids off at the mall for the day.  Sure they might warn them
about predators and tell them not to talk to strangers, but a healthy balanced
diet is important too, not only for them in this case, but for the habitat
around them.  It will be interesting to see what changes this situation brings
to our environment in the future.

Another question to be considered that is mentioned in the article that was
linked to Bill's message:  Are the feeder snobs having anything to do with the
country bumpkins?  We have a couple feeders here too and hopefully I will one
day get the grant money needed to study the difference between the two separate
races of the common bird species found here at our Wilderness Retreat.
Frankly, so far I am unable to tell them apart for sure either visually or by
listening to them sing, but I'm very close to proving that the ones at the
feeder hold their bills just a little bit more above the horizontal...

Lennie Lichter
Monroe County