[wisb] Yellow-headed Blackbird, some notes/Dodge County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 17:42:22 -0500

I saw my personal first-of-year Yellow-headed Blackbird along the Horicon
Marsh auto tour this afternoon. It was in the cattails west of the large
pond
on the west side of the auto tour road just past the boardwalk hiking loop.
The reason for this trip was to try and locate the ibis Dave Schrab had
reported as second hand information. I had no luck, but it is interesting
that there
is a possible Glossy Ibis in Brown County (same bird?).
There were two Trumpeter Swans on the south side of STH49 in the large pond
west of the historical marker pond.
I took a swing through the parking lot of Marsh Haven Nature Center and saw
10 Purple Martins on their martin houses and gourds.
There are signs up informing us that  Old Marsh Rd. will be open 3 days from
Fri. Apr.20 to Sunday Apr.22 for hiking and biking in honor of Earth Day.
Nice that
we have that 3 day window this year in case of bad weather on the usual
Earth Day opening. Personally, I am hoping to find some Black-necked Stilts
back there, but I have no idea what the water levels are like.

Thomas Wood,Menomonee Falls,Waukesha County