[wisb] Wyalusing State park today. A Century run day! Cerulean Warbler photos (long)

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 22:17:57 -0500

Hi all,
Mid April type weather and migrants was the theme this morning.  I was amazed
at how little there was. Singing or otherwise. I had to scrounge around for
migrants and it seemed as if not all of the residents had returned.
Yellow-rumped Warblers were the most prevalent bird of the day. Details below:
I did my annual trip to Wyalusing State park this morning. Coincidentally,
there were several groups of birders in the park as well today.  The Madison
Audubon Society had a trip this morning, the UW-Platteville Ornithology class
was there, and a few other misc groups.  In other words, the park was crawling
with birders this morning.  Usually when I'm there, the park is empty.
Anyway, back to birds!  I arrived at 5:15am and set about my usual route
through the park. As I drove in, I had Brown Thrasher and Henslow's Sparrows
singing from the area near the observatory. I started out at Point Lookout
where I picked up a Bald Eagle, Nashville Warbler, Pine Siskin, 1 singing
Louisiana Waterthrush! and a few other misc common birds.  At 5:45am on the
dot, the Yellow-throated Warbler sang from the usual spot in the tall pines
near the Point Lookout parking lot. I also had Red-headed Woodpecker and a
Baltimore Oriole.
At 6am, I headed over to the Cerulean Warbler spot on Long Valley Rd. There
were at least 4 of them singing away.  A quick check of the Passenger Pigeon
monument area revealed only Yellow-rumped Warblers and a few Bald Eagles.  I
also picked up my only Ovenbird of the morning. Usually the park is crawling
with them.
Then, I drove down the boat landing road and discovered an injured Cerulean
Warbler sitting on the road. He appeared to have a broken Pinion feather.
However, he could still fly (although not well)  and seemed to be finding
enough to eat. As long as he stays out of the road, he should be fine. Photos
are Here
At about 6:15, I joined up with the Madison Audubon group and my friends Alex,
Luke, Libby and Abbey.  We found a few Ruby-throated Hummingbirds at the office
feeders. My first of the year. Down by the observatory, we heard the Henslow's
Sparrows and a couple of Yellow Warblers
Then we headed back down to the point where we picked up Canada Geese,
Rough-winged Swallows, a Red-shouldered Hawk, some Coots, Wood Ducks and
various other common species.
After waiting for the Yellow-throated Warbler to show itself, Alex, Luke, Libby
and Abbey and I decided to head down towards the boat landing and look for
Cerulean Warblers.  We all piled into my car (I now drive a Red '99 Ford Taurus
SE Wagon!) and headed down long valley Rd.  We found the Ceruleans exactly
where I had found them earlier in the morning.  The birds were very cooperative
and I managed to put the scope on one of them for us to look at and we all got
spectacular views of singing males. It was a lifer for the 4 of them and a year
bird for me.   As we were watching the Ceruleans, I heard a rather slow
ovenbird sing. Just once. It never sang again to confirm, but I'm about 80%
certain it was a Kentucky Warbler.  A later search of the area produced
nothing.
A further check of the Pigeon monument area produced a surprise. A lone flyover
Peregrine Falcon! It was a new addition to my Wyalusing park checklist.  On the
way back, we ran into the UW-Platteville group who pointed out a Cooper's Hawk
with a fresh kill and had decent looks at the Yellow-throated Warbler.
Then we finally cut down to the boat landing (by this time it was about 11:00).
 Surprisingly, there were no Ceruleans at the boat landing. We did see one male
Am Redstart though! A quick walk North along the edge of the river produced
(after quite a bit of work) a male Prothonotary Warbler.  Back at the fishing
pier, we met up with the Audubon group and managed to pick out a Broad-winged
Hawk as it soared overhead.  Then we headed back up top and then down the road
to Henneger point.  Very quiet out there, but we did find a single Blue-winged
Warbler!

By this time, it was after 12:00 and Luke, Alex, Libby and Abbey had to take
off back to Platteville.  I headed down to Bagely Bottoms. The Bottoms were
very quiet. 1 Great Egret, 1 Great Blue Heron, and 1 Warbling Vireo.
I then took a roundabout way back home.  Only birds of note on the way home
were at the Boscobel unit of the LWSR.  6 Lesser Yellowlegs, Blue-winged Teal,
and (finally!!) 2 Short-billed Dowitchers!
I arrived back home at 5:00 after an incredible day that included seeing a
Cerulean at point blank range! I had a grand total of precisely 100 species for
the day! Most of those coming from Wyalusing park alone. I had a total of 14
species of Warblers for the day as well. First time I've had double digits this
entire spring.
Wyalusing looked like it was still mid April. There were Yellow-rumps
everywhere.  The most notable miss of the day was Acadian Flycatcher. I did not
find a single bird. Weird. I've never missed them before.  While I probably had
a Kentucky, I really have to count that as a first time miss too. This is the
first year that I've missed them on May 2nd.  Nailed pretty much everything
else though so I'm happy.

My Audubon trip tomorrow meets at 6:30am at the intersection of Laws Dr and
County Y just outside of Mazomanie.  See you there!

I leave for Arizona bright and early on Tuesday morning.

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County Naturalist Guide for the Birds and
Flora of Southeast Arizona and the Upper Midwest
(520) 558-2307(608) 475-9016
P.O. Box 16430Portal, AZ 85630
http://web.mac.com/stoneageoutpost/RC_Birding/RC_Birds.html
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me