[wisb] Wyalusing State Park (Grant County)

  • From: Alexander R Stark <starkal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 21:05:19 -0500 (CDT)

Hello all,
Libby Zeman and I led 8 birders through Wyalusing State Park today. We started
at the boat landing and drove up to the fork in the road with the stand of
pines. From there we walked up to the Passenger Pigeon monument and walked
Sentenial Trail to the lookout point and back to the vehicles.

Our first stop at the boat landing produced some great species for the day! We
walked out the dock and picked up Lesser Yellowlegs, Northern Rough-winged
Swallow, Tree Swallow and Blue-winged Teal. The best part of the stop was when
we were watching the Yellowlegs a Prothonotary Warbler sang VERY close to us!
The whole group turned around and there is the beautiful guy singing proudly.
It then flew across the parking lot and landed on the antennae of a group
members car. It was definetly great views and a life bird for a few. The next
highlight was a fly-by Osprey that was an unexpected bonus.

The drive up to the fork in the road didn't produce much other than Balitimore
Orioles, House Wrens, Ovenbirds, Pileated Woodpeckers, Chipping Sparrows and
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers.

The walk was much more productive. We found singing Wood Thrush, Cerulean
Warblers, Tennessee Warbler, Ovenbirds and a Yellow-throated Vireo at the fork
in the road and farther down the trail we found our Myrtle Warblers. We hit the
lookout a little before 10 AM and by that time it was almost silent besides
some Bank Swallow activity and a singing Cerulean Warbler and Nashville Warbler
(no Summer Tanager activity either). By the time we reached the vehicles most
of the group split up but a few of us went to the oak savannah to find a
Henslow's Sparrow. Earlier Libby and I had found Ring-necked Phesant, Yellow
Warbler, White-crowned and White-throated Sparrows but couldn't relocate them.
We DID find a singing Henslow's Sparrow on top of a tree and in a 40x scope it
was the best looks that I personally have ever gotten! Also in the area were
Eastern Towhee's, Field Sparrows, Gray Catbirds, and Brown Thrashers.

The group then split up and Libby and I went to the south end of the park for
lunch. On our way over we found a singing Yellow-throated Warbler (sorry guys),
Northern Waterthrush, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Red-eyed Vireo and more Wood
Thrushes. While we were eating lunch at a overlook of the river I saw a fairly
large sized, black bird flying close to the water with its legs completly
extended. As I pulled my binoculars Libby and I both realized it was COMMON
LOON flying north up the river. I assure you it was NOT a Double-crested
Cormorant.

After Lunch Libby and I decided to call it a day and head home. We ended up
with 11 species of Warblers for the day and 7 species of Sparrows and 65 total
species for the morning. Thanks to all participants who enjoyed the morning
with us!

Good Birding,
Alex Stark, Platteville