[wisb] Wisconsin lawmaker wants to allow sandhill cranes to be hunted - TwinCities.com

  • From: John Rasmussen <jras@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Cathy Stepp, Sec." <holly.lamers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Koehler <DKoehler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, martin Karl <martik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Dr. Tim VanDeelen" <trvandeelen@xxxxxxxx>, Mccaffery Keith <mccafk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mitch Mode <mitchamode@xxxxxxxxx>, Sally Mode <shmode@xxxxxx>, Pete Rasmussen <movingwaterphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Elizabeth Rogers Tiller Ph.D." <bethtiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tom Schultz <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ryan Brady <Ryan.Brady@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ron Eckstein <bentleydog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 09:29:29 -0600

The hunting of cranes is not a smart move for Wisconsin hunters to make. if one
would look ahead a bit. it offers far more negatives than positives.
Sandhill cranes have a very large following of folks who enjoy them and don't
want them hunted at all.
By hunting a species that literally disappeared from the landscape here (hunted
out) in Wisconsin, and has really only been back in numbers here less than
about 25 years or so, it positions hunters in a another very contentious
position.This will put more distance yet between the hunting public and
non-hunting public.

The reappearance of endangered Whooping cranes and the eastern flock Breeding
program offers up the primary reason that hunting should not be allowed at all
within the state. Wisconsin is attempting to bring back a wild flock of
whoopers and the hunting of Sandhills flat out puts these cranes at too high
risk no matter where in the state a hunt would be done.
This remnant whooper flock is widely distributed and potentially would be found
in any county of the state where Sandhill Cranes are also found. I live in
Rhinelander (oneida Co.) and we have had Whoopers visit our county and
neighboring counties recently.

I have been photographing cranes (both species) extensively in state and out of
state for about 10 years or more and juvie and adult whoopers and sandhills
both are very easily confused in various aspects and light conditions.
Mistakes by hunters, even well intentioned hunters, are not affordable with a
global population of Whoopers as it currently exist and particularly here in
Wisconsin which is unique in terms of attempting to establish a breeding
population.

The Wisconsin hunting public should not even consider the hunting of cranes.
I also am life-long hunter with over 60 years of hunting experience in this
state.

John Rasmussen
Rhinelander,WI.
         54501