[wisb] Wisconsin Point, Tues morning-Pacific Loon

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:35:49 -0500

Hey everyone,

My good friend Erik Bruhnke and I spent the morning birding Wisconsin Point
(Superior, WI) yesterday morning. Had a pretty decent haul despite the relative
lack of birds.
The morning started gray and dismal with drifting fog out over the lake that
made visibility quite poor.  Eventually, the clouds lifted somewhat, but
visibility remained less than ideal all morning.
The star of the morning was the adult PACIFIC LOON that was found during
Jaegerfest.  Alas, I have no photos though. The bird was sitting low in the
water about a "mile" out.  Even with the scope at 60X it was difficult to
identify, but we eventually made out the white throat, obviously small bill,
dark back, etc.

Other birds for the morning included: about a thousand Greater Scaup, a few
Redhead Ducks1 Green-winged Tealaround ten-thousand gulls (Bonaparte's,
Ring-billed and Herring), 1 1st winter Great Black-backed Gull, 1 Franklin's
Gull1 Common Loon, 4 Horned Grebes,6 Sanderling, 2 Black-bellied Plover, 1 Am
Golden Plover, 1 Dunlin,
After Erik took off, I birded a little bit farther down the point and came up
with: 3 Merlin, 1 Peregrine, 1 American Pipit, 4 species of Warblers (Myrtle,
Palm, Nashville and Orange-crowned), White-throated, White-crowned, Song and
Swamp Sparrows, both Kinglets, 1 Hermit Thrush,6 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, a
few Flickers, 1 Hairy Woodpecker, 1 flock of Cedar Waxwingsand about a dozen
Bald Eagles.

I left Duluth at 5:30 ish and arrived home at 11pm last night. (that story
later)

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi
Explorer Cruises
http://mississippiexplorer.com/chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.nabirding.com/http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)