[wisb] White River Marsh, Lakes Puckaway and Maria, etc

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 18:16:05 -0500

I spent the day birding various marshes and lakes.  Starting at White
River Marsh, on the rustic road there were many  Swamp Sparrows
singing, and of course cranes!  At the bridge a La. Waterthrush sang,
while a Yellow-rumped Warbler worked the trees.  Also seen west of
here was a Pileated WP.  While I was there it was 31 degrees!!  (And
they say the next two mornings will be much colder!)
Along Cty D a Virginia Rail continuously called, while a Sora called
once.  Along the west side several Chipping Sparrows were seen.
South of Princeton a Vesper Sparrow sat on a wire.

Lake Puckaway in Marquette had 2 Forster's Terns, along with a few
Bonaparte's Gulls and White Pelicans and Cormorants.  I was surprised
to see in the town lilac bushes that were ready to bloom!!  A Barn
Swallow was also seen in this area.

Lake Maria was filled with ducks and Bonaparte's Gulls, at least 300
of the latter, while hundreds!! of the former.  15 duck species were
seen.  It took a long time but I finally located the Red-necked Grebe
preening itself towards the northeast side of the lake.  Lake Emily
had 4 Common Loons.

Horicon Marsh had hundreds of Bonaparte's Gulls, mainly on the north
side of Hwy 49.  Am Golden Plovers (35) were in the east pond (by the
pumphouse) and along Point Rd.  Also at the latter site were 5 Dunlins.

93 species were tallied for the day.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI