[wisb] Whimbrel and Long-eared Owls - Manitowoc County

  • From: Aaron Holschbach <aholschbach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 16:48:24 -0500

Today at Fischer Creek County Park in SE Manitowoc County we had 2
WHIMBRELS and 2 WILLETS on the beach to the north of the park, and a
SANDERLING near the mouth of Fisher Creek.  The park also had good
numbers of warblers, with a total of 21 species, including a
BLACK-THROATED BLUE and a CERULEAN WARBLER.

The pond at Hwy F and LS still has good numbers of gulls and terns
with around 20 FRANKLIN'S GULLS.

At my dad's home we searched for the LONG-EARED OWLS which have been
in his backyard for the past few months.  We had no problem finding
one Long-ear, and we were also able to find a second one sitting on a
nest.  Long-ears have been in his yard for several years now, but this
is the first time that we have confirmed nesting.  Below are some
links to a few pictures.

Long-eared Owl
http://www.pbase.com/aholschbach/image/112594524
http://www.pbase.com/aholschbach/image/112595229

Long-eared Owl on nest
http://www.pbase.com/aholschbach/image/112595484

Aaron Holschbach
Arena
&
Jim Holschbach
Manitowoc

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.