[wisb] Re: Warblers, Suet, and paying for nothing

  • From: "Kent" <kentsue@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wbuwausau@xxxxxxxxx>, <bettie@xxxxxxxxxx>, <rawshooter@xxxxxxxxx>, <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 14:57:31 -0600

Lori:

We use raw beef suet year around at my house.  The only problem is that
it stains the tree bark when it warms up.  That problem can be prevented,
however, if one puts a towel behind the suet.

By using suet year around we are able to attract our Pileateds throughout
the year and watch young woodpeckers being taught how to eat suet by
their parents.

The other alternative if you care to use suet is to purchase cakes.  These
usually last less than a week, attract squirrels if they contain nuts
and are far more expensive than the raw beef containers (3-4 weeks).

Let's hear it for raw beef suet.

Kent Hall
Stevens Point (Portage Co.)