[wisb] Warbler weekend

  • From: Rick Pertile <mugzy1960@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 19:07:13 -0500

Greetings,

Saturday brought a decent push of warblers throughout the day in my back yard
near Birchwood in Sawyer County.  I managed to get 13 species by late
afternoon.  Waves were pretty consistent in early morning and then again in
late afternoon, especially between 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.

Birds included were:

Nashville

Tennessee

Black-and-white
Black-throated Green (most numerous)
Blackburnian
Chestnut-sided
Northern Parula (decent numbers)
Bay-breasted
Blackpoll
Yellow-rumped
Redstart (decent numbers)
Magnolia
Cape May

Suprising was the absence of Golden-winged which were very numerous 2 weeks
ago.

I've included a few shots of one Black-throated Green that decided to stop down
for a drink and cool off under the mist.

http://inlinethumb29.webshots.com/43164/2371765620104648965S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb41.webshots.com/29096/2226323010104648965S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/45675/2836067010104648965S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/9873/2559518140104648965S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb31.webshots.com/44830/2295962720104648965S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb50.webshots.com/4209/2054991530104648965S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/44770/2262429990104648965S600x600Q85.jpg

I also managed to "pish" out 3 juncos at the end of my driveway from a thicket
at the ponds edge.  Seems pretty early for them to be around, I usually don't
see them in the area until October.

Regards,

Rick Pertile
Birchwood, Sawyer County WI