[wisb] WSO Trip- Mead Wildlife Area

  • From: <janzg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn: freelists.org" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:20:48 -0400

Once again, the annual Mead Wildlife Area field trip was well attended with
about 30 birders from the WSO, Aldo Leopold Audubon Society, and Wausau Bird
Club heading into the field.  It was for the most part a clear and blustery day
and the northerly winds seemed to keep the birds in pretty dense cover.  By the
time we started winding things up around noon we had a total of 68 species
including 16 different waterfow speciesl and 6 varieties of raptor.
Highlights;  nice looks at Greater Prairie Chickens on County Line Road(by the
"yellow barn"), a flock of 24 Greater White-fronted Geese and a lone Barn
Swallow at South Rice Lake, and a vocal flock of a dozen Yellow-rumped Warblers
along the wooded trail east of Range Line flowage.  Thanks from Dan Belter and
I to all who attended and to Brian Peters and the staff at the Mead Wildlife
Area for helping with logistics and for providing some good tips on where the
birds were being seen lately.

Gerry Janz
Stevens Point, Portage County