[wisb] WSO Goose Pond, etc trip

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 19:08:16 -0500

Tom or Jeff will provide the full highlights undoubtedly.  However briefly it
was a fun trip, although standing at Goose Pond early this morning was cold.
About 75 species were tallied that included such things as 5 goose species, 20
duck species, Phoebe, Sapsucker, Osprey, Golden-cr. Kinglet, Fox Sparrow, 15
Bonaparte's Gulls, and for we northern birders 2 Tufted Titmice.  For the
participants who did not join the rest of us going out to the boat landing from
Whalen Grade we found 20+ Common Loons and several Double-cr. Cormorants.
Several birders felt there actually were 35 loons!  Again lots of good birds
and enjoyable company with lots of laughs.
On the way down and back home I found 1 Greater and 3 Lesser Yellowlegs in the
ponds at the junction of Jersey Rd (old W) and Cty A in Dodge county (north of
Beaver Dam).  And then a real surprise in a pond by Neenah along Hwy 41 when I
noticed 3 Great Egrets landing on the pond, joining a SNOWY EGRET that was
already present.

For my day, my tally was about 90 species!!!!, a real surprise considering how
much ice and cold weather is still with us.  And they are forecasting "highs"
by mid week here in the mid 30s!!!  Also there could be possibly more snow.
Winter, get out of here and let spring really settle in!!

Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI