[wisb] WI Point sightings this morning, with unidentified gull - photos (Superior, WI)

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, mou-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 19:25:56 -0500

This morning I went out birdwatching at Wisconsin Point with two of my
friends (taught 'em all about gulls, and now they're hooked)! In
addition to the fun sightings listed below, there was one odd gull,
which was is possibly an ill juvenile Ring-billed Gull... odd molt,
rough feathers, bill looks off, etc. Any feedback/help on this ID is
appreciated. Feel free to backchannel me, and I will respond back to
the listserv in a day or two regarding the consensus, and the ID of
this bird.
Canvasback     3
Greater/Lesser Scaup     20
Double-crested Cormorant     1
Bald Eagle     2
Bonaparte's Gull     1
Franklin's Gull     1
Ring-billed Gull     2000
Herring Gull     30
gull sp.     1
jaeger sp.     2
American Crow     4
American Pipit     1

Here is that gull of interest:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129367585
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129367588
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129367590
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129367592
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129367595
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129367597
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129367600
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129367602
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129367604

I have many other gull photos to share from this morning. I'm about to
head out the door in a few minutes, and will post the photos in a day
or two.

Here are two quick photos of a BEAUTIFUL adult Cooper's Hawk banded at
Hawk Ridge today! Enjoy!
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129368530
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129368528

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

NATURALLY AVIAN - Guided bird hikes and bird
photographywww.pbase.com/birdfedrbirdfedr@xxxxxxxxx

Count Interpreter
Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory
P.O. Box 3006