[wisb] Re: Violet-Ear Scam

  • From: "Kevin Kearns" <dkkearns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 15:20:15 -0500

Many years ago on Wisbird there was a very bitter person who was mad about
something that had been said to them on Wisbird and they had an axe to
grind. I still remember the message clearly - "There is a Great Grey Owl
sitting on a fence post on this road and he was 5 feet away from me!!!"
Since the sighting was only 10 minutes from Appleton, a great many people
went out looking for it with no success. Two days later this person wrote in
laughing all the way about how they had pulled on over on us and it serves
us right. That was a scam and deliberate deception.

The hummingbird sighting was a valid sighting for the reporter who honestly
made an error in his haste to get the news out. I agree that the original
message is a little harsh and could have been worded quite differently

Kevin Kearns
Lake Mills