[wisb] Re: Verona, WI where to go?

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jstuckert4@xxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 09:40:52 -0500

John -

An excellent spot near Verona is the Olson Oak Woods SNA (aka the Madison
School Forest) - good chance at many different forest-interior songbirds,
possibly Barred Owls, plus a Great Blue Heron rookery.  There's also a prairie
on the edge of the woods.

From Verona, take Hwy 69 south of Hwy 151 about a mile and turn right (west) on
Riverside Rd. (there is a small wooden sign for the School Forest there) and go
about 2 miles to Fritz Rd. (another small sign.)  Go left (south) about a mile
to the parking lot at the curve.  It'll be buggy.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.