[wisb] Van Patten and Bay Beach Sanctuary

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 11:29:21 -0500

I started at Mack WA early this morning---42 degrees (wow).  For only
the second time this late summer/early fall there were a few
migrants.  Four warbler species that included Bay-breasted,
Blackpoll, Yellowthroats and N. Waterthrush.
Van Patten Rd was a real surprise.  A Merlin was finishing its
breakfast on top of a muskrat house.  As a result there were only 5
shorebirds total:  1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 2 Least and 2 Pectoral
Sandpipers---period!  Stuart was already there and said he had
watched the Merlin catch a Cliff Swallow.

I decided to try Bay Beach Sanctuary as it was still early.  Arriving
around 8:00, I could not handle the migrants, especially warblers,
for the first hour.  I spent a total of 2+ hours there and it truly
was a fun time.  There was a total of 24 warbler species seen during
this time, that included a male Black-throated Blue right next to me
for almost 5 minutes, along with many other species.  The most
abundant were Tennessee, Chestnut-sided and Redstarts.  There were
MANY Red-eyed Vireos, Rose-br. Grosbeaks plus over a thousand
Cormorants circled over head.  Three vireo species were seen
including single Warbling and Philadelphia.  Single Swainson's and
Gray-cheeked Thrush and Red-br. Nuthatch were tallied.  The total
warbler list included the following:  Golden-winged (1), Tennessee (35
+), Nashville (3), Parula (2), Yellow (2), Chestnut-sided (10+),
Magnolia (7), Cape May (15+), Black-thro. Blue (1), Yellow-rumped
(1), Black-thro. Green (5), Blackburnian (3), Pine (1), Palm (1), Bay-
breasted (5+), Blackpoll (5+), Black & white (1), Am. Redstart (25+),
Ovenbird (1), N. Waterthrush (2), Mourning (1), C. Yellowthroat (6),
Wilson's (1) and Canada (1).

It was great to finally find a really good passerine wave.  The only
flycatcher was several E. Wood Pewees.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI