[wisb] Update from Arizona

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 22:14:17 -0500

Hey everyone!!
I hear a bunch of rare stuff showed up the minute I left. Figures.  Holy
Bjeepers! Cinnamon Teal! and on the very section of land that I spend a heck of
a lot of time on. Ah well. :D
My trip to Arizona was a bit more expensive than I had originally planned.  I
made it to Topeka last Wednesday morning, and the tranny on my car went out.
That was not fun. Blew two whole days getting it fixed.  Picked up Blackpoll
Warbler because of it though, so that was nice.
Stopped at Cheyenne Bottoms WA in central Kansas on Thurs morning. Had good
numbers of shorebirds. Many Avocets, Stilts, Stilt Sandpipers, Least, SemiP and
Baird's Sandpipers as well.
From there, I dropped down through Amarillo, TX where I picked up my lifer
Mississippi Kite!! That was my #2 nemesis bird. Then, I stopped at Palo Duro
State park where I nailed my #1 nemesis bird. Had spectacular looks at both
male and female PAINTED BUNTINGS!!!!!!!!  You wouldn't believe how excited I
was. Then, to top it off, I also picked up Golden-fronted Woodpecker and
Black-crested Titmouse!
Then, I dropped south and west through Roswell, NM and then west to Bosque Del
Apache. I arrived at the Bosque on Sat night, and took a quick cruise through
the marsh loop. heard and saw literally hundreds of Lesser Nighthawks. Also had
quite a surprise when I heard a KING RAIL calling from the marsh by the side of
the road (that's quite a rare bird for NM). Turns out, over a dozen people
showed up the next morning to look for it. It was eventually seen and
photographed. It's under 10 records for the state but I have no idea what the
exact record is. Very nice bird though. Also nailed my lifer Virginia's
Warbler! That was cool. Quite a few Cinnamon Teal were present as well. :D
Then, I had more car trouble. The speed sensor went out. I managed to make it
to Portal though and just had it fixed yesterday. Hopefully nothing more will
go wrong. I can't afford it!
Here in Portal, I've picked up a few lifers and a good many year birds. Greater
Pewee was a nice addition to my life list and a lone Short-tailed Hawk filled
out the day on Monday.
Yesterday afternoon, I got a report of a CRESCENT-CHESTED WARBLER!  I ran up to
the spot this morning and managed to get decent looks and halfway decent photos
of the bird!!
Here he is!: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/572061039JxqCqo

I also ran up to Rustler park this morning and picked up my lifer OLIVE
WARBLER!!   2 lifer warblers in one day made it a pretty good day. :D
Now, I have only one more Chiricahua resident to track down for my life list.
Montezuma Quail!
That's all for now! Early wake-up tomorrow.  I have two clients tomorrow who
want to do day birds and owls on the same day! Tiring, but should be fun!

Remember, any of you are welcome to visit at any time. :D

Happy Birding! --Chris W, currently in Portal, AZNaturalist Guide for the Birds
and Flora of Southeast Arizona and the Upper Midwest
(520) 558-2307(608) 475-9016
P.O. Box 16430Portal, AZ 85630
http://web.mac.com/stoneageoutpost/RC_Birding/RC_Birds.html
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.