[wisb] Tufted Titmouse at Wehr Nature Center; Hawk ID help needed

  • From: Jennifer Ambrose <jenthreat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Birders <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 15:05:47 -0500

Good afternoon!
This morning around 10-11am, I walked around the Wehr Nature Center
property in Milwaukee County. I didn't see or hear much until I was about
to leave. Near the east side of the parking lot where there are paths
leading to the lake, I heard and saw a bit of activity so I stopped and
waited, only to hear a "PETER PETER" type voice. Doubting myself, I thought
it was a Baltimore Oriole. The bird kept singing, and as it did, I noticed
that although the pitch was similar to an Oriole's, the song was different.
Well, I thought, maybe it's a juvenile oriole. I was quite surprised to
scan the treetops and view a Tufted Titmouse instead. It was only the
second time I've seen on in Milwaukee County.

In the same area, I saw a few warblers:
Blackpoll, Blackburnian, and Chestnut-sided

as well as:

many American Goldfinches, including many fledglings and juveniles
Eastern Wood-Peewee
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Blue Jays
Chickadees
Robins

On the other side of the lake was a pair of Belted Kingfishers, more
goldfinches, a Cedar Waxwing, White-breasted Nuthatch and Gray Catbird.

I wouldn't recommend chasing the titmouse. It only sang sporadically, it
was way high up, and generally it was just hard to catch a glimpse of.
However, if you visit Wehr sometimes, it's not a bad idea to listen for it.
I only got one horrid doc shot, seen at the link, along with some nice
photos of the Blackpoll Warbler, finches, and the hawk that I can not ID
(It seemed too large and not streaked right for a Sharpie, streaked
differently than a young Cooper's, so I thought maybe Broad-winged, but who
knows!?).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49427613@N03/sets/72157635363060423/

Thanks,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49427613@N03/sets/72157635363060423/