[wisb] Re: Tonight at Dike Road - Horicon (Marbled Godwit)

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andypaulios@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 08:31:29 -0500

I can attest to the astonishing number of Soras and Virginia Rails along Dike Rd. last evening - it was almost deafening with all the whinnying and grunting! Many of them are on either side of the dike right at the lone tree by the "stilt spot", too. They are often easily visible foraging in the slight channel between the line of vegetation immediately along the south side of the road and the larger area of reeds, etc., to the east of the tree. (I also gave the tour group a false lead on a King Rail - after reviewing the recordings, it was actually just a deeper Virginia grunt than I'm used to hearing.) Still, it's a spectacle not to be missed if you can get there!

Peter Fissel
Madison, WI

Andy P wrote:
Hi Folks,

Tonight while leading a field trip at Horicon for marshbirds we saw a single
Marbled Godwit and two of the Black-necked Stilts on Dike Road.  Also
seen/heard were a gagillion soras, virginia rails, coot, pbgrebes, American
Bittern, and a nice number (40-50) of Black-crowned Night Herons amongst the
usual suspects.

Andy Paulios
McFarland, WI

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.