[wisb] Today, SOD FARM ! +vireo song ID help

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 09:08:31 -0700 (PDT)

   Hey everyone ---  Just got back from the sod farm/Shady lane run.   Had a
very good turnout.  Ran into another birder out there by the far NW corner of
the entire place.  I got to see what he said he found:  ~50 Yellowlegs, both
sps. comnbined,  ~10 least sandpipers, 1 dunlin,  he missed 1 solitary that I
picked out, killdeer of course, but no other plovers, and last but not least, a
handful of Am pipits.   I had a 48 sps. morning which included 9 sparrow sps.,
the best one by far was VISUALLY IDing a GRASSHOPPER !!!!   I wondered what
that tailless looking savannah really was.  Then I saw the striped squarish
crown.  It never called.  Then flew from the wire down into the field.  The
next best sparrow were Claycolor,  at Shady lane marsh!!  of all places, and
the other, VESPER by song.  And now for the vireo song.  It was either Philly
or Blue-headed.  The song was higher pitched, thinner, with longer pauses
between
 phrases.  I'll check YouTube after this as well, maybe it'll be there.  All in
all this was an awesome morning, boosting my FOYs by 9.  Sedge wrens were all
over Shady.

     Paul Bruce, Oshkosh and Appleton
     Winnebago and Outagamie Cos.