[wisb] Tiffany Wildlife Area Train Ride

  • From: Bill Hogseth <billhogseth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 09:24:24 -0600

Thanks, to Ann Hamon for pointing out that the URL has faulty on my
Please join the Chippewa Savannas Chapter of The Prairie Enthusiasts
on Saturday May 14, 2011 as we take a ride in an open-air train deep
into remote areas of the Tiffany Bottoms extensive lowland hardwood
wetlands, wet meadows, open prairies, and floodplain savannas within
the heart of the Lower Chippewa River.

The 13,000 acre Tiffany Wildlife Area (owned and managed by WDNR,
located in Buffalo County along the Lower Chippewa River and home to
the largest contiguous floodplain forest in the Midwest) is an
excellent location to witness the spring migration. The Tiffany is a
concentration area for waterfowl and songbirds. It is estimated that
as many as 30 species of warblers can be found in the Tiffany Wildlife
Area. To maximize the bird watching experience, our train will be
leaving at 7am so that birders can catch the ?dawn chorus? and an
ornithologist will be on the train to share knowledge about bird
identification, biology, etc.

Along the way, the train will stop and riders will have the
opportunity to venture out on foot and explore various habitats. We
will be focusing on prairie and savanna areas. Riders will be able to
walk with several local experts who will share their knowledge about
the region's ecology, history, and management.

See attached PDF for registration information.

For more information:
http://www.theprairieenthusiasts.org
-OR-
http://tinyurl.com/tiffanytrainride