[wisb] Thomson Prairie Sparrows and Bobolinks

  • From: The Gorman-Baers <gormbaer@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 10:02:39 -0500

It was a beautiful morning at Thomson Memorial Prairie (Dane/Iowa Co.):

Grasshopper Sparrow (5)
Savannah Sparrow (3)
Clay-Colored Sparrow (2)
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Brown Thrasher (2)
Yellow Warbler (3)
Bobolink (3)
Eastern Meadolark (lots)
zillions of Red-Winged blackbirds....

I thought I heard a familiar wolf whistle up high, but it wasn't repeated and I couldn't pick anything out in the cloudless blue sky. So, no Upland Sandpiper today. I was also surprised not to hear or see any Henslow's Sparrows. But several of the Grasshopper Sparrows posed in the full sun.

It was an odd experience to see from one spot Grasshopper Sparrow, Clay-Colored Sparrows, Yellow Warblers, and a flyover Canada Goose.

The Yellow Warblers were very conspicuous, repeatedly flying straight up and fluttering back down to the tip of a shrub - they were definitely trying to be seen.

--
Peter Gorman
Mount Horeb, Dane Co.

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.