[wisb] TRUMPETER SWANS IN FOND DU LAC COUNTY!!??

  • From: Rockne Knuth <rockneknuth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WISBIRDN <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 18:24:21 -0700 (PDT)

This is a tough one. Last week I spotted a pair of swans in Supple's Marsh
which is in the northern city limits of Fond du Lac on Hwy 45 in Fond du Lac
County.  They were far out along a cattail edge, both asleep with heads tucked
in.  One was in the water, the other on a platform of cattails.  I had no idea
what species they could be.
Yesterday I saw a single bird in open water north of the first parking lot
along the entrance to the Marsh - also on Hwy 45.  Again it was far off - too
far to know for sure.  It's body was sleek like a Tundra or Trumpeter, but it
held it's neck in a curve, like a Mute.  If it had an orange bill or knob, I
couldn't see it with certainty.

Today both birds were in open water by the small bridge over an outlet from the
marsh on Hwy 45.  They were closer this time. They were certainly not Mute
Swans.   They held their neck stiff and straight, their bills were black, and
the bodies sleek and trim.  My eyes are not good enough to determine the facial
pattern, so I can not be sure if they are Tundra or Trumpeter Swans.  My hunch
is that Tundra Swans would be out of here by now, and these birds seem to be
setting up housekeeping.  I'm hoping some youngster can take a look.  A scope
would be Helpful.

Rockne Knuth
Oshkosh WI

"Perhaps it is always the destined role of the compassionate to be strangers
among men.  To fail and pass, to fail and come again."
                                                  Loren Eiseley
                                                  Unexpected Universe