[wisb] Swan Slam - Wind Lake, Racine County

  • From: Tim Hahn <thahnbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 17:11:49 -0600

I started the day at Lower Phantom Lake in Mukwonago this morning.  A good
portion of the southwest end of the lake is open providing sufficient room
for good numbers of waterfowl.  A small portion at the northeast end is
also open where the Mukw. River flows in, which is visible from Lake St.
120 RING-NECKED DUCKS were joined by a variety of others including AM.
WIGEON, GADWALL, REDHEAD, COMMON  GOLDENEYE, MALLARD, & COMMON MERGANSERS.
The only geese were Canadas, but seven TRUMPETER SWANS were hanging out on
either side of the channel to Phantom Lake.
Later I checked out Wind Lake from the Sportsman's Landing parking lot and
found all three swan species from that spot - 13 Mute, 7 Tundra, and 1
Trumpeter. Here again the only geese were Canadas.  Not too many ducks here
though, with about 95% or more of the lake still frozen.

The only other species of note today was my first SONG SPARROW on Lincoln
Ave. in New Berlin.

Cheers!

Tim Hahn
New Berlin, WI