[wisb] Spring Season thanks to all!

  • From: Schaufenbuel <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 13:17:40 -0500

Well the Spring 2014 is in the bag and it was one best enjoyed with a
high mpg auto!

Two new state record birds were found being a male Garganey (this
appears to be a truly wild vagrant) at Crex Meadows and Crested Caracara
on Washington Island, Door Co.  There is little suggestion the Caracara
is not a truly wild bird also.  Red-lining cautiousness of California RC
accepts most of the records in that state:
http://www.birdpop.org/DownloadDocuments/Nelson_and_Pyle_2013.pdf
Caracaras are not prone to high interior North American vagrancy but
there are records all the way into Canada.

Also this spring we had other good birds, which in a normal year would
be headline species, such as Eric Howe's Black Vulture, Ryan Brady's Say
Phoebe, Steve Thiessen's Smith's Longspur flock, Mountain Bluebird and a
very exciting male Chestnut-collared Longspur. The latter two were found
also at Crex Meadows the Vulture was visiting the Caracara on Washington
Is.!  Aren't we in a period of high solar activity and there is some
theories to attribute some vagrancy to solar electromagnetic disturbances?

As the season closes, I want to say thanks to all for a super good job
of documenting the birds they find, and especially noting what, when,
who and where (County!) of their observations during that busy season.
We encourage WI birders to use all social media for communicating.
However due to accessibility and for historic search and archiving of
images, in the end please use eBird for your records and be kind to
cross pollinator reports to WisBirdnet. Also, keep a personal file of
documentary images as this avoids the risk of an image hosting site
closure meaning the loss of your valued images.

I want to welcome Alyssa DeRubeis as the new Summer Editor for the
Passenger Pigeon.  And it will help Alyssa too if you take the steps to
note the county, date and location of your observations.  Alyssa has a
special interest in your efforts documenting nesting species.

Best of Birding into the Summer Months!

Joe

Joe Schaufenbuel
WSO Bird Reports Coordinator