[wisb] Spring Green Preserve & Baxter's Hollow today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:13:18 -0500

Jim Otto and I went to Sauk County today.  We arrived to find Spring Green
Preserve still shrouded in the thick fog we had driven through closer to the
river.   We hiked out and took the trail to the east - even at 8:20, the bluff
was hidden.  We did hear a YB Chat vocalizing quite clearly from the foot of
the bluff, but could barely make out shrubs, much less birds.  After hiking to
the top, we listened intently until about 10:30, but could not hear the WE
Vireo or Blue Grosbeak.  We did get a nice look at a Yellow-billed Cuckoo that
flew up into a tree close to us and called.  On the way back, we saw one of the
Mockingbirds flying, and Jim spotted the Loggerhead Shrike (a life bird for
him, so he was very excited.)  I was equally excited to finally see a Prairie
Racerunner - first state lizard for me!

Birds were surprisingly vocal at Baxter's Hollow, considering it was a warm
afternoon.  We heard several Blue-winged Warblers (we also heard at least one
at Spring Green,) and multiple LA Waterthrushes.  Veeries were calling and
singing all up and down the gorge, along with a few Wood Thrushes.  We heard a
Cerulean Warbler by the old parking pullout, and there was an intriguing trill
coming from the other side of the creek there.  I thought it was very likely,
but not certainly, a Worm-eating Warbler.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.