[wisb] So You Want To Feed Suet

  • From: Mitch <mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 12:38:26 -0600

Hi All,

Oh, how short our memories are. One of my first memories was the empty
metal coffee can on the back of the stove. It was a time honored
tradition, going back who knows how long? Longer than my 63 years for
sure. Grease drippings were used for gravy, cooking cornbread, all sorts
of things I have forgotten, and during world war 2, they were used to
make explosives. Everyone collected the stuff.

So now what do we do with it? I know, if you have an In-sink Erator
disposal, you can run it down the drain, and many people do. What a
waste. I still collect it, and when I lived in the big city and an
apartment, I would throw it in the dumpster, but I always remembered
what else it was used for, growing up on the farm, in the 40's and 50's,
in those nasty Northern Illinois winters. Ours went to feed the birds.
and they just loved it.
</aclk?sa=l&ai=C7wT-ZuwfS5ydEtScngfkj9CNC4bIzZUBvOL9kxDL-aL1ChACKAhQuuic3vj_____AWDJnt6N_KT8FaAB2Nba_APIAQGqBBlP0AoXfiXBR0JyqkFVHno4hwj-x6Y7hcvQ&num=5&sig=AGiWqtwq1nWcrSuOiTkiNLDivmQNM7-2zw&q=http://22.xg4ken.com/media/redir.php%3Fprof%3D32%26camp%3D1373%26affcode%3Dkw165816%26cid%3D4243309428%26networkType%3Dsearch%26url%5B%5D%3Dhttp://www.faucet.com/brand/InSinkErator%3FCID%3Dgginsinkerator>

Not all birds will eat it, Cardinals seem to not care for it, but most
of the other birds will eat it, especially when it's cold, and the
Woodpeckers of all kinds just love it. I dedicate a wooden spoon to the
can and the task of digging the stuff out of the can and smearing it on
the cages out in the yard, or on the rough bark of the oak trees. I save
all melted fat in one can. Hamburger drippings, pan fried steak, since I
use real butter to fry in, bacon grease, anything that solidifies when
it cools. So don't waste that stuff, the birds need it and it goes to a
far better purpose than clogging up your pipes or filling a landfill.

Thanks,
Al Mitchell-
La Crosse, La Crosse County
http://www.picturelacrosse.com/