[wisb] So. Kettle Moraine State Forest today/Waukesha,Walworth County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 19:42:57 -0500

In the morning, I hiked the orange loop of the Scuppernong Hiking Trails off
of Waukesha CTH ZZ. Highlights were 4 Broad-winged Hawks (FOY) soaring over
the area and one perched along the trail, Black-throated Green,
Yellow-rumped Warblers, and Ovenbird (FOY). Other notables were Brown
Creeper, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Pine Siskin, and  White-throated Sparrow
(heard only). I missed the Pine Warblers and Blue-headed Vireo that have
been reported from
this trail system.

Paradise Springs had only the ubiquitous Chipping Sparrow and the father-son
birding team of Jerry and  Kevin DeBoer.

After lunch, my goal was to find the recently reported Hooded Warblers. Not
wishing to bird with mountain bikes on the trail, I avoided the John Muir
Trails.

Nothing against biking, but couldn't they have chosen a different trail
system to honor one of America's greatest naturalists? Wilderness and nature
study seem to be incompatible with the activities on that trail system.

I decided to try the Ice Age Trail from Duffin Rd. to Lake La Grange. For
many years I have known this to be a reliable area for Hooded Warblers, and
it probably still is, but not today. I saw none, but I did see my FOY
Cerulean Warbler and on the return trip a Palm Warbler and Yellow-rumped
Warblers.

Otherwise, the woods were beautiful but lacking birds. At the north end of
Lake La Grange I saw FOY Orange-crowned Warblers and Warbling Vireo.

I had hoped to look for some grassland birds, but my aging body no longer
cooperates, so I settled for a Great Egret flying  from the small
algae-covered

pond on Duffin Rd. where my car was parked.

Thomas Wood,Menomonee Falls,Waukesha County