[wisb] Snowy Owl Buena Vista 1-29

  • From: Cindy Scherwinski <anahar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WI Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 09:10:49 -0600

Late Tuesday afternoon Al and I headed out to the Buena Vista Grasslands with
the hope that we'd locate the Short-eared Owls earlier in the evening. It was
one of those rare blue sky with just enough clouds to diffuse the light kind of
afternoons (for those who visit the area on a regular basis, you know how rare
this can be as usually we are dealing with overcast skies).

We decided to head south down Elm so the sun would be at our backs when we
turned onto Swamp Road. Neither one of us expected to find the Snowy Owl but
there he was (assuming it was a he as it is almost all white). Al spotted it
sitting on a fence, a quarter of a mile from the road. We spotted it around
4:15 and watched it for over 20 minutes; it never left its perch but it was
looking around in all directions. Al was able to get one good identification
photograph which has been posted on my Flickr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cbscherwinski/6801519933/in/photostream

This is the first time we've seen the Buena Vista Snowy ... very exciting.

The Short-eared owls were not on Swamp Road but on our way "out," one was
sitting on the east side of Elm, just past the second house (after Swamp). It
flew across the road and was joined by a second Short-eared and we left them
both hunting over the field.

The Snowy had apparently moved on ...

Cindy Scherwinski