[wisb] Re: Snowies this winter

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 09:24:01 -0700

All the photos I've seen of Snowies in the western Great Lakes so far this year
appear to be immature birds of both sexes, which suggests a good year of
productivity and subsequent dispersal/migration of these hatch-year birds to
the south. From what I understand (perhaps wrongly) this movement may not be
closely tied to current lemming populations on the Arctic breeding grouds. If
we start seeing a significant influx of adults (not just a few, which we get
most years), this probably would be more indicative of lower prey populations
up north.

If you can, take pictures and share them. It doesn't need to be a good picture
for us to learn something about the nature of this year's flight.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady